Mixed Media Artist

About Me

San Leandro, California
I am a mostly retired Nurse who works enough to pay for a studio and art supplies. I have been making art all my life, with no formal degree-type training, beginning with sewing at an early age. I discovered the JOY of quilting when I realized how much I liked breaking rules and telling stories. Workshops in surface design and art quilting, mentoring and encouragement from quilt artists, discovering the magic of assemblage with found objects, has landed me right in the middle of a mixed media world of art. I have been making my art and keeping it mostly to myself, giving it away only when I felt it was safe to do so. Finally, I was convinced that in order to grow artistically, I had to open up my art world for others to see, to like or not, but to see. Please take a look. Any comments, suggestions are welcome.

Oct 9, 2011

October Trade

October ATC Trade

"Hardware" is the theme for the October trade which excited me as one of my favorite places to shop is in the hardware store. Home Depot has some wonderful paint sample cards that I have spray painted . The weight is perfect for ATCs and I use many layers of spray paint, often topping the colors off with a mist of bronze or silver. I use lots of hardware objects as "stencils" between the layers of paint. Cutting the paint cards to size left me with some lovely smaller pieces that I use in the designs. The colors are rich and complex.
I had some copper wire and was pulling it apart to use it as thread when the end of the wire got bushy and looked like twisted trees. So, I ended up with a tree, fruit perhaps, and a moon. "Moon Glow"

No comments:

Post a Comment

leave a comment