Mixed Media Artist

About Me

San Leandro, California
I am a mostly retired Nurse who works enough to pay for a studio and art supplies. I have been making art all my life, with no formal degree-type training, beginning with sewing at an early age. I discovered the JOY of quilting when I realized how much I liked breaking rules and telling stories. Workshops in surface design and art quilting, mentoring and encouragement from quilt artists, discovering the magic of assemblage with found objects, has landed me right in the middle of a mixed media world of art. I have been making my art and keeping it mostly to myself, giving it away only when I felt it was safe to do so. Finally, I was convinced that in order to grow artistically, I had to open up my art world for others to see, to like or not, but to see. Please take a look. Any comments, suggestions are welcome.

Mar 6, 2016

Artists' Book Exchange

Janice Paine Dawes sent the first page for my art book for  February. It has a beautiful vintage image of a Chipping Sparrow in a textured nest and grass on a beautiful painted background.  In her artist's statement, Janice says "Habitat...is the place we return to time and again. It is the place we have our family until they leave the "nest".  It is the place we remain even as "empty nesters".  A resting place is the ultimate habitat."
Janice Paine Dawes
The first February page I sent out was to Janis Doucette, who's theme was "Seeds".  It is a paper mono print with screen printed Dandelions and stamping, 8.5x10 inches.


Dandelions
February 2016

Sandy Donnabed chose "Arial View" for her theme and I sent her an 8x8 inch hand painted fabric that I had pulled multiple thermofax images on, quilted it and sewed an image of a "flying man" on it. The design reminded me of the view of a city as you descend in an airplane.

Flying Man
March 2016





No comments:

Post a Comment

leave a comment