Mixed Media Artist

About Me

San Leandro, California
I am a mostly retired Nurse who works enough to pay for a studio and art supplies. I have been making art all my life, with no formal degree-type training, beginning with sewing at an early age. I discovered the JOY of quilting when I realized how much I liked breaking rules and telling stories. Workshops in surface design and art quilting, mentoring and encouragement from quilt artists, discovering the magic of assemblage with found objects, has landed me right in the middle of a mixed media world of art. I have been making my art and keeping it mostly to myself, giving it away only when I felt it was safe to do so. Finally, I was convinced that in order to grow artistically, I had to open up my art world for others to see, to like or not, but to see. Please take a look. Any comments, suggestions are welcome.

Feb 20, 2015

When a door opens...

My beautiful granddaughter Healey will be finishing High School this year, then off to college in the fall. It's hard to imagine her gone from the place she has been for 17 years, and I am already missing her.  She's probably going to be across the country on the second part of her life's adventure.

On one of our outings to the Exploratorium in San Francisco, I took photos of Healey and her brother in a room with walls that reflected distorted images.  Healey wore braids that day, a young woman but still a child in my heart. I printed the image on rice paper and constructed the "door frame" out of painted magazine pages,  then added some stamping and script. The Arts in the Cards trading group's theme for February was "When a door opens"  and I thought of Healey passing through a door to new adventures and experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment

leave a comment