Mixed Media Artist

About Me

San Leandro, California
I am a mostly retired Nurse who works enough to pay for a studio and art supplies. I have been making art all my life, with no formal degree-type training, beginning with sewing at an early age. I discovered the JOY of quilting when I realized how much I liked breaking rules and telling stories. Workshops in surface design and art quilting, mentoring and encouragement from quilt artists, discovering the magic of assemblage with found objects, has landed me right in the middle of a mixed media world of art. I have been making my art and keeping it mostly to myself, giving it away only when I felt it was safe to do so. Finally, I was convinced that in order to grow artistically, I had to open up my art world for others to see, to like or not, but to see. Please take a look. Any comments, suggestions are welcome.

Aug 27, 2014

LEAVES

I've been on a road trip for a couple of months and have not  been participating in the ATC challenges for 3 months.  It's been fun to see what the great artists have done during this time and how I wished I had been part of it, but traveling and organizing mailings just doesn't work for me.  So I'm glad to be able to get back in the groove and be part of this amazing group.

Leaves is such a great prompt for September, though living where I do there isn't the color that I used to experience in the autumn of my younger days.  We have to drive to the mountains to check out Aspens, and maybe catch some maples, but nothing like the splendid show of color in the east.  But I remember…

I rounded up some silk dupioni fabric scraps I have been cherishing forever and backed them with fusible interfacing, then "shredded" them in bits to resemble abstract leaves. I then painstakingly laid them on peltex, fused side down, and ironed them down. (Note to self: next time, scatter the shredded bits onto WonderUnder, fuse in place, then cut to size).  Then I sewed over the pieces to add some design and hold any loose pieces down. Lastly, I cut abstract trees out of black silky fabric and sewed them on top of the shredded leaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment

leave a comment