Mixed Media Artist

About Me

San Leandro, California
I am a mostly retired Nurse who works enough to pay for a studio and art supplies. I have been making art all my life, with no formal degree-type training, beginning with sewing at an early age. I discovered the JOY of quilting when I realized how much I liked breaking rules and telling stories. Workshops in surface design and art quilting, mentoring and encouragement from quilt artists, discovering the magic of assemblage with found objects, has landed me right in the middle of a mixed media world of art. I have been making my art and keeping it mostly to myself, giving it away only when I felt it was safe to do so. Finally, I was convinced that in order to grow artistically, I had to open up my art world for others to see, to like or not, but to see. Please take a look. Any comments, suggestions are welcome.

Apr 16, 2013

POPPIES


The color prompt for April for Arts in the Cards ATC trade was "poppies".  One of my favorite flowers that come in so many wonderful colors.  I love my adopted state of California and the poppies that cover the hills in spring. In a good year (poppies are very sensitive to weather conditions), there can be an amazing display of poppies and lupine, orange and purple. There is even a California Poppy Preserve near Lancaster, CA.

Because I have been traveling in our Minnie Winnie, my art supplies are pretty limited. While washing dishes with these really nice pre-soaped Palmolive dish wipes, I realized that the spongy texture would work well for a felting background. It also had a dreamy turquoise color.  So when I happened on a Fiber Arts show in Montgomery, Ala, I bought a couple of felting needles and foam, merino wool roving and set to work on my ATCs.  It was lots of fun doing the lap work while motoring through this beautiful country.

No comments:

Post a Comment

leave a comment