Mixed Media Artist

About Me

San Leandro, California
I am a mostly retired Nurse who works enough to pay for a studio and art supplies. I have been making art all my life, with no formal degree-type training, beginning with sewing at an early age. I discovered the JOY of quilting when I realized how much I liked breaking rules and telling stories. Workshops in surface design and art quilting, mentoring and encouragement from quilt artists, discovering the magic of assemblage with found objects, has landed me right in the middle of a mixed media world of art. I have been making my art and keeping it mostly to myself, giving it away only when I felt it was safe to do so. Finally, I was convinced that in order to grow artistically, I had to open up my art world for others to see, to like or not, but to see. Please take a look. Any comments, suggestions are welcome.

Apr 9, 2012

RAIN

The March ATC challenge theme, "Rain", was supposed to be about the COLOR of rain. Rain, for me, is more about emotions or moods. I grew up in a place where rain was an unpredictable factor in whether or not your birthday party, picnic, drive, walk in the park, wedding etc. would be possible. It spoiled many outdoor functions; therefore rain was a factor in my emotional state.
I chose to use a photo of a girl looking wistfully out a window and made a transfer out of it using LazerTran mounting it on a piece of an altered magazine page. The backgrounds were all from pages of magazines that I applied washes of CitraSolv, manipulating the pages until I got the effect I wanted.
I wanted to have the background misty with rain casting a gloomy mood on the card. Now I live in No. California where it used to rain on and off for a few months in the winter, and NEVER rain in the spring and summer. You could plan an outdoor event and be 99% sure it wouldn't get rained on. My feelings about rain have changed and I really enjoy what rain we get. Lately, however, we haven't gotten enough rain to prevent semi-draught conditions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

leave a comment