Mixed Media Artist

About Me

San Leandro, California
I am a mostly retired Nurse who works enough to pay for a studio and art supplies. I have been making art all my life, with no formal degree-type training, beginning with sewing at an early age. I discovered the JOY of quilting when I realized how much I liked breaking rules and telling stories. Workshops in surface design and art quilting, mentoring and encouragement from quilt artists, discovering the magic of assemblage with found objects, has landed me right in the middle of a mixed media world of art. I have been making my art and keeping it mostly to myself, giving it away only when I felt it was safe to do so. Finally, I was convinced that in order to grow artistically, I had to open up my art world for others to see, to like or not, but to see. Please take a look. Any comments, suggestions are welcome.

Feb 15, 2012

ATCReVisited: St. Winifred

It's exciting to be a part of the ATC ReVisioned group. Early on in my art journey, I took an oil painting class. When I was needing help with part of my painting, the instructor drew a sketch on a piece of paper to demonstrate something, and when he was done, he signed the scrap of paper and put it in his pocket.When I looked at him puzzled, he told me to always sign my work and NEVER throw away any art I made.Although I don't sign doodles, I always save art work that I have done, even the most awful stuff. I was especially interested in going back to some of my older pieces that were stored away that I wasn't sure of, didn't like, hated, or just plain didn't care about and turn them intosomething else.
I found a 5x8 piece that I intended to donate as part of a fundraiser for cancer but decided it was too personal as it includes a picture of my mother as a young woman in her brand new nursing uniform. The photos and written material were transferred onto white muslin using a
gel medium. This was mounted on a piece of upholstery fabric. I added buttons that looked like eyeballs to the corners. "St. Winifred" was put away for "later".
For ATCR (revisited) I decided to mount the 5x8 collage on another piece of decorator fabric, a pale green with scattered wispy brown branches . It looked kind of blah, however, so I decided to repeat some of the black of the ambulance guys on the 5x8. After trying several methods, I ended up using black Versatex screen printing paint, scraping it over the stencil like I was silk screening. This provided me with the dark black that I wanted.
The 5x8 collage was placed so the stenciled clock looked like a halo over my mother's photo. I added black binding for more contrast.Not sure I like that, however. It has been fun revisiting some old work and I am looking forward to working on the next piece!

No comments:

Post a Comment

leave a comment